So, you were the lucky one to be able to buy your first home. Congratulations on your recent purchase. It is exciting! You now are amongst the many new lucky buyers that won your dream home. Most of us, including me don’t think twice about the dangers right in your home.
Normal everyday cleaning fluids are highly toxic to adults, so you can imagine how much more toxic they could be on your dog, cat and especially your new son or daughter.
So, you want to be fit and take vitamins or medicines to keep you healthy but left unattended could be dangerous to your little one. As we know they are fast and put everything in their mouth. They make those hasps to guard your kids from getting under the sink. Holy Moley, we know what’s under there.
There isn’t anything under the sink that is not toxic. Simple kitchen products such as Windex, dish soap to adults may not be a big deal to us but they are monumental to kids and pets. When you are buying your home, your agent should give you the fact sheet on arsenic-treated wood and arsenic in your well water.
The state mandates that we submit these documents each and every time we submit an offer or work with buyers alike. It identifies the risks of pressure treated wood and arsenic in drinking water. And, of course children and pets are the most susceptible.
A simple water test will usually detect and abnormalities or spike points on each test. For more information or to learn more about these very important topics, contact the CDC at: www.maine.gov/dhhs/cohp for more details.
Now, the spring/ summer season is just upon us, and we want to rake up last years’ leaves and put down fertilizer/ lime to make everything green, weed killer and all the things to make your yard the envy of the neighborhood.
But do you realize that those items can sometimes be toxic to your dog that eats the grass because maybe he ate the grass that was just fertilized, and the crabgrass preventer keep your expensive, highly seeded Kentucky Bluegrass or your clover you sent away for from getting overcome by crabgrass.
Those products contain some sort of poison, so protect your family. Look for products, and make sure that say pet friendly or child safe to be extra sure.
Lead paint is another hazard. If you bought a home that was built prior to 1978, your home could have wood painted with leaded paint. Lead paint injested by young children or pets can create permanent neurological damage and disabilities, and it also poses a high risk to pregnant women. If you have an idea there might be the presence of lead in the house, you can have it tested.
Our children and our pets are our precious family members. Don’t take chances with your loved ones. <
Richie Vraux is a Realtor/ Broker with Better Homes and Gardens- The Masiello Group, 76 Tandberg Trail- Windham. If you are looking for sound advice from a 25-year Real Estate Expert, call Richie at 207-317- 1297.